Pages

Friday 23 September 2016

Blogtember Day 23: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Hey all,

I'm back! Things got a little crazy between school and work and life, and I just let the whole blogging thing slide for a bit... busy, busy. You know how it goes! But I'm back for another day of Blogtember :)

Today's prompt is "A family recipe (if grandma allows it, of course!)" so a recipe I will share with you! I am a fan of baking, like a big fan... As a matter of fact, I have made three batches of cookies in the past two days (actually four if you count the one recipe that I doubled)! So there is a lot of cookies in my house right now, not that anyone is complaining. If I ever have to make cookies to give away, or as a gift, or for an event, or whatever it may be, I also have to make sure I always make extras for the hyenas I live with ;) Haha between all my brothers, and my parents... Okay, and me too... It is hard to keep a cookie jar full around here. So many need to be baked, or I will not have any left for when I need them. And I do need them for this weekend.

Baking is my favourite rainy day activity, it is my biggest stress reliever, and it is also my biggest procrastination tool (oops!). I just love to take over the kitchen, be by myself and create a tasty treat! I like to turn up the music, dance around like a fool (who actually can't dance), and mix away my feelings... Or something like that?! ;)

This recipe is a family recipe going forward, it's not like some ancient recipe that has been passed down from generations. It was me on a mission to re-create the best oatmeal raisin cookies I have ever had (shout out to Mt. Seymour for changing my life and baking the best oatmeal raisin cookies ever, that weren't a letdown when there was no chocolate chips in them haha). Now that I have succeeded, I will continue to make these cookies, and will be sure to be the one passing on this recipe to generations, so there... It's a family recipe, and I'm the grandma (in the future) who allows this recipe to be shared ;)


I originally found this recipe on Pinterest after a lot of searching to find exactly what it was I was looking for, and I have since adapted it slightly. I am sorry that I do not know the original source of this recipe, and I don't think I even pinned it. I just jotted down the ingredients and directions, and went to experiment for the re-creation oatmeal raisin cookies just like Mt. Seymour used to make.

All the ingredients. Yes I know the jars look empty... But there was enough flour and sugar in them, plus plenty more where that came from in the pantry. ...That reminds me, better go fill up the flour jar!  
Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 2/3 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
a dash of nutmeg (I probably use about 1/8 tsp)
1 1/2 cups rolled oats 
3/4 cup raisins (that's an approximate, I don't usually measure... If it's doesn't seem like enough, you can always add more)

Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (or do it halfway through like it did, I always forget!).

Sugar going in, then cream it all together.

In a large mixing bowl, cream your butter with the white and brown sugars, till it's fluffy. Don't forget the brown sugar like I nearly did! Man, I was a forgetful baker today... ;)


Next, add your egg and vanilla and beat until the mixture is smooth.


I'm a lazy baker, so I just combine all my dry ingredients in the measuring cup before dumping it into the bowl.

If you prefer you can combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg) in a separate bowl and slowly stir into the butter mixture.


Once the dry ingredients have been combined into the wet ones, pour in your rolled oats.

Mix slightly (I use a spatula from here on out, as the batter gets pretty thick for the beaters).


Add desired amount of raisins. OR if you're not a fan of raisins you can leave them out entirely... this recipe is excellent for just oatmeal cookies too!


Continue mixing until it is all combined. It should end up pretty thick, and also pretty tasty, if you ask me. Just try not to eat all the batter!


Roll the dough into small balls, and flatten with a glass (or the palm of your hand). Remember, I'm a lazy baker so I just use my hand. My grandma used to always say fingers were invented before cutlery. I think the same thing applies here... Hands were invented before glassware.


They should look something like this once flattened. That should be about enough space in between each cookie, they do expand out a bit.

Bake at 350°F until the bottoms are golden. About 10-12 minutes.
I bake them for 10 or even a little bit less sometimes. You don't want the cookies to get brown.



And there you have it, a delicious tray of cookies. Let them cool on a wire rack.

This recipe made 30 cookies (minus the one I dropped on the floor, that my brother quickly gobbled up... Hyenas I tell ya!).

You'll have deliciously soft and chewy, flavourful oatmeal raisin cookies just like your grandma used to make! :)

I hope you enjoy. Let me know if you try out this recipe!!

Happy baking!
Love, Erica


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig